[lbo-talk] Setting the agenda for the intelligentsia

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Oct 25 20:38:06 PDT 2009

Carrol writes:

"Waiting for "The Left" to do it for you is the same as waiting for Obama to do it for you. Someone (many someones) have to work to create a Left."

Fair enough! Although, I'm not waiting for anyone to do "it." I'm plenty willing to do it, "it" being an analysis of the "choreography" for those who have the intelligence and the will, but simply not the political or historical understanding to figure out what's going on. This is a culture of "individual" solutions and issues; many, many, many people simply do not have the insight into what it means for individuals when issues are systemic.

I have limited time and the only other arena in which I play is a list-serve for the Oakland Unified School District....scene of ongoing public discussions among teachers and parents about vouchers, privatization, budgets, merit pay, etc. I am convinced that my participation in these discussions has done a great deal in clarifying and redefining the terms of the debate....and given others the courage to say what's on their mind.

All I was trying to say is that this humble educational/clarifying role is one we can all play in different areas, and that rather than diss one another, we could help one another engage effectively in these discussions.

Joanna