[lbo-talk] Internet's downside

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 26 14:49:43 PDT 2009

This is from the interview I sent earlier:

>What about the Internet's downside?
>
>Kids have retreated out of the physical world into the cyber world.
>It gives them a larger reach, [but] they're not getting out in the
>sun, playing with other kids and looking in their eyes and watching
>their body language as much as they used to, which I think is a
>shame and can create a kind of indifference in the way in which you
>deal with your peers. Excesses include things like notifying your
>significant other [by computer] that you're no longer significant to them.

How true is this I wonder? It doesn't apply to most of the kids I know. They're all involved in some kind of sport and they play outside for hours after school every day. That was true from pre-school to 5th grade and it's still true in 6th grade.

I don't see this retreat from the physical world.