[lbo-talk] Internet's downside

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 14:55:57 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net>wrote:

> This is from the interview I sent earlier:
>

> What about the Internet's downside?
>>
>> Kids have retreated out of the physical world into the cyber world. It
>> gives them a larger reach, [but] they're not getting out in the sun, playing
>> with other kids and looking in their eyes and watching their body language
>> as much as they used to, which I think is a shame and can create a kind of
>> indifference in the way in which you deal with your peers. Excesses include
>> things like notifying your significant other [by computer] that you're no
>> longer significant to them.
>>

> How true is this I wonder? It doesn't apply to most of the kids I know.
> They're all involved in some kind of sport and they play outside for hours
> after school every day. That was true from pre-school to 5th grade and it's
> still true in 6th grade.
>
> I don't see this retreat from the physical world.

Well, you wouldn't, would you?

My anecdotal guess would be that there are kids who spend a ton of time on the internet, but for temperamental reasons. Right now I spend a totally unhealthy amount of time on here, but deep in my youth, before the internet existed, I would still rarely go outside and play sports except under parental coercion. I'd stay in and read if I could.