[lbo-talk] Honduras

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 19:14:05 PDT 2009

The original San Jose accords were a deal manufactured in Washington courtesy of their ally Arias, and Zelaya signing on to them was the first defeat for progressive forces. Micheletti's stubborness plus support from some in the US along with expensive PR kept a deal from being signed. Elements of the military, the RC Church hierarchy, and the business elite all wanted a deal because Honduras was suffering economically and a deal would in a short time have established again the rule of the Honduran elites. Zelaya will be a lame duck president for a couple of months, a mostly symbolic victory. He wont even have control of the army which would not obey him anyway. By the end of January everything will have gone back to normal. The only hope is that grass roots movements will continue to press for change. The coup leaders get off scot free and the elections run by them in effect will be internationally recognised plus aid will now flow freely to the

military and to the businesses who supported the coup.

We have yet to see the details of the accord but certainly the coup is not punished at all for mounting the coup. They managed to wait long enough that the re-instatement of a plucked and powerless Zelaya, is a bad joke whereas they get everything they wanted and Washington too.

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html