[lbo-talk] For LBO's music theory crowd

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 4 12:33:08 PDT 2009

We could be having a terminology clash. My background is in ancient philosophy* and Heidegger and I have tended to avoid the whole 20th-century Anglo thing entirely. When I hear "realism," the first thing I think of is the medieval realism-nominalism debate (which actually might be worth looking at in this context).

*Speaking of which, my project for the last six months or so has been trying to get my Greek (ancient version) up to some level of competence, so I speant the entire evening conjugating Greek verbs. By thundering Zeus, that language is so fiendishly complex that it is hard to imagine that anybody ever actually spoke it. Do we really need 10 infinitives for every verb? It makes Russian grammar look like a silly joke.