[lbo-talk] um, cass sunnstein?

Mark DeLucas delucasm at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 9 07:35:46 PDT 2009

Oops, I see that Dennis had already made my point.  For some reason this particular email was spammed.

From: Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] um, cass sunnstein? To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 3:29 PM

Doug:

> How's that? O'Reilly has spirited arguments with his guests. If  they're good at it, they can give him a run for his money - of course,  you have to be aggressive and resist his talking over you. But  allowing people to speak their minds on TV - how exactly does that  discredit dissent?

That show is a circus. A distraction. You could read the Gettysburg Address on that thing and it would essentially be noise between the commercials.

Noam's take was that you allow genuine dissidents on, but keep the overall structure in place. They come off as caricatures -- maybe not to you and me, but to those who watch Fox for their info, which includes much of my family, I'm afraid to say.