[lbo-talk] Talk about death panels!

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 19:22:43 PDT 2009

Here's one way these instruments could enhance incentives for shitty care. HCA and its ilk start buying these policies, giving them further incentives to deny care to the critically ill, thereby skinning the cat twice - first by avoiding payment and second by collecting the insurance (perhaps sold by the insuree in order to pay the bills that her "insurance" had already failed to cover!). For this to really operate, insurers and their cousins would have to collude to some degree, but they seem to be quite good at that.

Or we can just imagine what some bizarre genetically engineered combination of Michael Milliken and Barbara Stanwyck could do with this!

MM