[lbo-talk] Talk about death panels!

D. T. cochrane dtc at yorku.ca
Wed Sep 9 20:07:13 PDT 2009

From "The sinews of American commerce" by Roy A. Foulke, a history of the Dun & Bradstreet credit bureau, in a section titled 'Evolution of credit institutions, 1841-1941.'

"In the early days of life insurance, a surrendered policy was considered by many companies to be a justifiable source of profit. ... Someone who cared nothing for the insured bought the policy [of a man who could no longer pay the premiums] at a small fraction of its obvious worth and waited impatiently for the unfortunate old man to shuffle off to his grave. Or perhaps not wait. [Actuary Elizur] Wright heard some very ugly rumors of policy buyers who thought nature too slow and hired the handiest villain to dispatch the insured. He investigated ... and uncovered certain cases where the evidence fairly shouted 'Murder!'"