[lbo-talk] Back Again/Obamacare & Afghanistan

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Sep 12 14:52:07 PDT 2009

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:39:17 -0700 (PDT) andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> writes:

> And I campaigned for him. I suppose McCain would have been worse.
> But I think it's time for me to re-up in Solidarity again.
>
> Andie

When will progressives ever learn? I bet a lot of people here think that Carrol Cox is talking through his hat when he calls the Democratic Party the greatest obstacle to progressive social change in this country. But an examination of the history of the DP over the past 120 years or so, I think, bears hims out on this point. The old adage that the Democratic Party is the place that social movements go to die is as true now as it ever was. The only times that Democratic presidents have ever pushed through significant progressive legislation were those times when there were strong social movements (i.e. the labor movement in the 1930s, the civil rights, antiwar, and student movements in the 1960s), which at the time was not completely captive to the Democratic Party. At almost every other period when Democratic presidents have been elected they have proven to be great disappointments for progressives (i.e. Grover Cleaveland, Woodrow Wilson, Harry Truman, JFK, Bill Clinton, and now BO).

Jim F. ____________________________________________________________ Business Schools Accelerate your career with a degree in business. Get matched today! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=ZlHMR02PKLldUcTAKPn9ywAAJ1DoEMrytxsVXKlEh0tvqeWlAAQAAAAFAAAAAPLSTT4AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFIgGAAAAAA==