[lbo-talk] signs of the times

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Sep 13 09:43:00 PDT 2009

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009, Mike Allen from Politico was quoted on the signs in Washington:

> SPOTTED, among all the 'Don't Tread on Me' flags at yesterday's taxpayer
> rally at the Capitol: 'JESUS SAVES, OBAMA SPENDS' ... 'OBAMA LIES,
> GRANDMA DIES' ... 'COMMIES AND LIARS AND CZARS ... OH MY!' (with a nice
> photo of Dorothy and Toto) ... 'GLEN [sic.] BECK FOR PRESIDENT' ...
> 'It's the Constitution, Stupid' ... and the all-purpose, 'I CAN'T CARRY
> 20 SIGNS. IT ALL STINKS.' HuffPost featured the tasteful, 'BURY
> OBAMACARE WITH KENNEDY.

This post has two pictures which when combined almost blow my mind trying to comprehend their cognitive dissonance.

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/09/12/912-signs/

At the top, a woman with a confederate flag. At the bottom of the post, a guy proudly displaying his "Freedom Riders" T-shirt -- by which he meant the teabaggers.

It's like they pride themselves on proclaiming white is black.

Hold on a minute -- that's true in more ways than one.

Michael