[lbo-talk] Conservatism

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 09:14:04 PDT 2009

You are missing an important point - the sickening nationalism of European nation states. EU offers a healthy internationalist antidote to this national;ism and that is why it is so hated by the right and insular Brits.

EU can be credited with the extension of civil rights to minorities (e.g. gays or women) in backward Eastern European states. It is also a mechanism of redistribution of wealth among more and less developed countries. I do not understand why anyone on the left should object to that.

The argument that EU was a mechanism of introducing neoliberalism to Europe is not worth the paper on which it is written. That honor goes mainly to two nation-states: the United Kingdom and the United States and their august leader at the time, Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan.

Ant those who object to "unelected bureaucrats" "assaulting" the welfare state should be reminded that if it were not for these "unelected bureaucrats" there would be no European welfare state as we know it. Populist sentiments can be credited with the rise of fascism, but not welfare state.

If I were to chose between a populist democracy the US style and Eurobureaucracy - I would go for the latter without thinking twice.

Wojtek