[lbo-talk] Conservatism

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 09:40:32 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You are missing an important point - the sickening nationalism of European
> nation states.  EU offers a healthy internationalist antidote to this
> national;ism and that is why it is so hated by the right and insular Brits.

Ugh. I reckon the EU has done away with some of the more aesthetically unpleasant nationalisms (and racisms, which is the same thing), but only to reconstitute them at a higher level, the "multinational," which still contains "national." Maybe you should notify African and Middle Eastern migrants about the civilized, beneficent "extension of civil rights" created by the laws, treaties, and agreements collectively known Fortress Europe, or maybe you could tell the Roma--hi, Chris!--and other ethnic minorities and encamped asylum-seekers who suffer from periodic, quasi-governmental pogroms about the benefits of the welfare state. And let's not forget the BNP, Le Pen, Berlusconi, etc.