[lbo-talk] MoveOn = wankers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 17 09:10:42 PDT 2009

[Do these people have any idea what's in this "reform"? Are they lying, naive, or stupid?]

Dear MoveOn member,

Health and insurance interests are spending nearly $5 million per week to oppose health care reform,1 fighting to keep a broken system because it benefits their bottom line.

But what we've got right now—skyrocketing premiums, denial of treatment, canceling coverage when you get sick—is a disaster for regular people.

It's time to call Big Insurance out—because if they win, we lose. And next week, we're going to do it right in their own back yards.

We're organizing "Big Insurance: Sick of It" rallies at local insurance company offices across the country on September 22nd. Thousands of us rallying together will send a strong message to them, Congress, and the media that we are sick of Big Insurance and want real health care reform now.

Next Tuesday, there's a rally in New York City. Can you make it?

Here's the link to RSVP: http://pol.moveon.org/event/events/event.html?event_id=98575&id=17244-1795935-OX6VE8x&t=3 The public health insurance option is the number one target of Big Insurance—and a major reason why conservatives in Congress are holding up Obama's plan for real reform. With these events, we'll remind Congress that when Big Insurance is in charge, we're the ones who lose. We need a strong public health insurance option—a health care plan that won't put profits over real people's lives.

At the rally, speakers will share personal stories about how they've been harmed by the health insurance industry. And we'll display many of the most compelling "Can't Afford to Wait" photos of MoveOn members showing why they or a loved one can't wait for real reform to highlight the fact that real people's lives are at stake in the debate over reform.

Rallies like these are a lot of fun—and with stories from real people taking center stage, they're sure to be a moving reminder about what's important in our fight for health care reform. They're also a great way to make a big impact. With hundreds happening at the same time, we can send a strong message that we're sick and tired of Big Insurance's stranglehold on our health.

The rally in New York City is part of a national day of action to shine the spotlight on the insurance industry. And with Congress moving quickly toward voting on health care, we need to make sure they hear our message right away.

Click here for more details and to RSVP for the rally in New York City:

http://pol.moveon.org/event/events/event.html?event_id=98575&id=17244-1795935-OX6VE8x&t=4

Hope you can join us, and thanks again for all you do.

–Kat, Joan, Lenore, Ilya, and the rest of the team

Sources:

1. "Industries have spent $585.7 million since 2007 on lobbying and campaign contributions," Public Campaign Action Fund, September 15, 2009. http://www.moveon.org/r?r=84720&id=17244-1795935-OX6VE8x&t=5

"AHIP: All For Reforms, But Not Government Competition," National Journal, August 20, 2009. http://www.moveon.org/r?r=84721&id=17244-1795935-OX6VE8x&t=6

Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.