[lbo-talk] Lamark inheritance, etc.

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Sep 17 11:10:50 PDT 2009

Speaking of neo-Lamarckianism, what's the deal with that? Is it making a general comeback or just in this corner of the world? Mike Beggs

---------

No, it's around up here too. I was reading something the other day. The basic idea was that Lamarkian inheritance of learned characteristics is part of the process of cultural and linguistic evolutionary change (somewhere toward the end of Kenneally?)

Then there is the application in epigenetics which can both arrive and disappear.

It's a sticky-tricky idea that might apply sometimes, in some ways, in some areas of research. My opinion is it one of those ideas that is easy to get wrong.

BTW read your essay that SA suggested (good stuff), then followed with something from Wallerstein on system equilibrium, disequilibrium. Here is a more lengthy interview of W:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLvszWBf6BQ

The idea is that when systems are in equilibrium, they are just about immune to change. When they get out of wack, then the reigning system can be changed in some kind of sum of small forces adding up to a push in one direction or another...

CG