[lbo-talk] Elizebath Warren

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Sep 17 12:42:07 PDT 2009

But now that she's the TARP overseer, no such luck. Nothing against her- she's an extremely friendly and generous person. She's just got a lot on her hands. Doug

-------

I was a afraid of that. She appeared briefly on MSNBC when the August report came out.

On the other hand, from her talk and interview she seemed pretty incorruptible. As little red riding-hood, she's been to banker Wolfie's house before.

What struck me about her lecture was that fact that I had lived this stuff. In the 70s I had a good university staff job (union, benefits, etc), then quit over political issues.

After that I hit a year and a half of unemployment, and under employment, then divorce, and single half-time parent after 1981. I never recovered from that recession and spent the rest of my life in the working class.

The ex-wife immediately married another city government professional and together their income brought them waay up, like three or four times my income. They hit two big walls. The first was the long decline of my former father-in-law with Parkinson's that eroded all of his savings. And they had to cover some of that. So his lifetime savings could not be passed on. The next big wall was putting our son through college and med school. They managed and so the kid is in the secure but diminishing end of the middle class. It took two big incomes. He also lucked out with an internship that helped pay off bills from school and save enough to buy a small practice. He is now caught in the health care insurance system that is of course eroding his patient base. My daughter-in-law majored in business and accounting and they team up on the billing end.

So I could literally watch my life and lives of people I know well in Warren's charts and figures.

CG