[lbo-talk] the paradox of choice

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Sep 18 17:58:02 PDT 2009

At 08:06 PM 9/18/2009, Andy wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 3:51 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
> >
> > this is a great video about why too many choices actually makes our
> > lives less free or, at least, why too many choices means we ultimately
> > fall back on the more restricting ways of making decisions that we
> > were trying to get away from with more choice.
> >
> > It's by Barry Schwartz who spoke at a Google Tech talk.
>
>He has a book by that title that fleshes this out.

yeah, one of the guys who works for me sent it to me after we got into some mini-debate with the company blogger (who can be a real gullible asshat about social networking/social media/web2.0 crap *rolls eyes*)

he told me to listen to it, and it was totally spot on with regard to some projects we've been working on at work. and the message i'd like to send the powers that be is: KISYDF - keep it simple you dense fuckers!

so, he sent it to the company email list upon my enthusiastic response -- information warfare! there, i learned about the book -- one of our product development people had read it. so, it's on my to read list.

have you read it?

BTW, my vacation was totally wacky and I didn't read one word of all the books i brought! ha ha! it rained half the time, the ocean waves were so loud and water was splashing on the deck constantly that i couldn't read. when it finally cleared up, i came down with the world's worst allergic reaction to mold induced by all the rain. which was quickly followed by the flu! and not a decent mattress or sofa in the whole place. i was soooooooo glad to get home to my real bed, i could have done a commercial for a mattress company. :)

but i had a fucking vacation and that's all that mattered!

and i totally fell in love with ocracoke. if you have the opp and you want to get away from everything? go to ocracoke. fanfuckingtastic little place.