[lbo-talk] the paradox of choice

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Sep 19 12:10:06 PDT 2009

At 02:36 PM 9/19/2009, Alan Rudy wrote:

>Of course, the bastardization/reification of "organic" and "grass-fed" is
>legion. There are folks committed to organic/grass-fed/WF because of
>sentimental romanticism for a bygone agrarian past, there are folks
>committed to organic/grass-fed/WF because of health-phobic concerns about
>the poisons in conventional foods, there are folks committed to
>organic/grass-fed/WF because of ecoromantic beliefs that organic is better
>for Nature, and there are folks committed to organic/grass-fed/WF 'cuz its
>hip, clean and beautiful people shop/hang there. The trajectory of this
>stuff is one which started with a melding of the agroecological, the
>physiodynamic and the retrocommunal but which then - for reasons tied to
>both endogenous and exogenous relations - gradually splintered each off from
>the others and now is largely driven by faux-green consumerism serviced
>primarily by massive organic monocroppers producing both fresh, prepared and
>frozen/canned/boxed foods produced in usually the same hyperprocessed
>fashion but with "organic" ingredients.

you left one type out. yesterday, i was in meetings all day long. i escaped and went to a coffee shop for something yummy -- i was having a desperate need for coffee/chocolate combination.

as i stood in line wondering what to get, reading the board, i felt a jab and heard a woman i'd been in meetings with say, "hey there. you must have had the same idea we had."

i told them, "yeah, i neeeeeeeeeeed coffee and chocolate. baaaaaaad."

she, "oh you should try this ____" and she went on to describe what sounded like a yummy coffee and chocolate concoction -- four diff kinds of chocolate, etc.

i can't recall the name of it, but she mentioned it had soy in it and it was the kind of thing she would normally get. I said that I couldn't stand soy, made me gag and, besides, when i went out and treated myself to something coffee and chocolate at a starbucks, then i was in the mood for filthy, dirty, sinfulness: real cream, real sugar. i like it nasty.

then she told me that she used to drink soy milk all the time. that was until she realized that she was gaining weight. she said that she thought that by drinking soy milk and changing her diet to be more organic, then she'd lose weight.

yeah. i shit you not.

i've heard the same, before, from people who went vegetarian. they were convinced that animal proteins and fats made them fat. so, they went with veggies -- since beans and rice and crap are less calorie laden.

*snirk*

shag