[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Sep 20 09:53:45 PDT 2009

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 19:15:25 -0700 (PDT) Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> writes:
> The myths of catholicism are few in number (there are only three,
> IIRC) and impossible to empirically disprove (Jesus rose from the
> grave -- you can't really prove that statement false unless you have
> a time machine). "Native Americans are Hebrews" is on a whole other
> level; religious philosophers in the Middle Ages and before spent
> lots of time interpreting similar statements in the Bible or Koran
> metaphorically, because taken literally they are obviously
> ridiculous, and these people weren't stupid.

Well the noted Mormon historian Leonard J. Arrington, seems to have subscribed to such a view in which the more incredible statements of the Book of Mormon would be taken metaphorically rather than literally. See his article, "Why I am a Believer," (http://www.mazeministry.com/mormonism/mormonleaders/arrington/ahtm1.htm)

Also see David Bryon Davis's NY Review article, "Secrets of the Mormons." http://www.nybooks.com/articles/5380

Perhaps not too surprisingly, Arrington eventually ran afoul of the top leadership of the Mormon Church, who unceremoniously dumped him from his position as official Church Historian.

Jim F.