[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

mart media314159 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 20 14:40:55 PDT 2009

hmmm.  my reaction here would be this is patently absurd.      but then i always tend to think of the special cases, the exception to the rule, the set of 'measure zero', the counterexample.  or maybe its a semantic thing.  or just me.  (keep your fingers crossed, or remain agnostic at least to possibilies----maybe some people don't die!.)     supposing one had a deity who also was in the flesh, as i think they said about jc. or even just a regular 'common sense' sort of thing, in which someone thinks they are the deity.     it seems faith in the deity would be confirmed at each moment.  (sortuh like that godelian case from the new yorker, where there is a play within a play, and the inner play actually forces the real play to evolve in some direction, the way a frankenstein in the lab might mess with the one who created it, a la pandora's box).    some eastern/newage religions seem of this sort (god is in everyone; and i think both leibniz and spinoza had this sort of view, which seems pretty much like the view of quantum theory combined with schrodinger's metaphysics---or a 'holographic principle' (all parts are the same as the whole.)     or, as they say, it takes one to know one.     perhaps a genetically determined (hereidtary) exclusive club.    (since measure came up, i wonder if there is a way of hooking up kindling and going out in masures with the idea of measurable set, or ones of zero measure (eg the Cantor set (fractal)) and (i forget exactly )  solvolay's proof of the existence of a nonmeasurable set requiring both AoC and continuum hypothesis---i wonder if badiou uses this, and then use this to understand, say, 21 st century political economy.       --- On Sun, 9/20/09, Shane Mage  ..

  Belief in a deity of any kind, if that deity is made even part of the expectation for any human activity, disproves itself in practice very quickly.

> --- On Sun, 9/20/09, Michael McIntyre <morbidsymptoms at gmail.com> wrote:
>   Belief in a deity of any kind requires you to suspend the ordinary requirement of
>>
>> some kind of rational grounds for belief.

Shane Mage