[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Sep 20 13:53:32 PDT 2009

On Sep 20, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Chris Doss wrote:

> We all believe things that have no rational grounds -- there is an
> external world, the future will be like the past, every effect has a
> cause.

Of course there are rational grounds for believing those "things." Our practical activities all presuppose them, and every moment of our lives proves them by the test of practice. Belief in a deity of any kind, if that deity is made even part of the expectation for any human activity, disproves itself in practice very quickly.

> --- On Sun, 9/20/09, Michael McIntyre <morbidsymptoms at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Belief in a deity of any kind requires you to suspend the ordinary
> requirement of
>>
>> some kind of rational grounds for belief.

Shane Mage