[lbo-talk] DNC: fight the special interests by pushing the Baucus bill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 23 06:53:40 PDT 2009

[via Mike Allen]

DNC PLAYS HARDBALL – The (Portland) Oregonian's Jeff Mapes: 'The successor organization to President Obama's campaign - Organizing for America - will send out an e-mail to the president's supporters Wednesday urging Sen. Ron Wyden to move the health reform bill out of the Senate Finance Committee. ... [T]he Oregon Democrat is the first finance committee member to get this treatment, but e-mails aimed at other senators will follow. Wyden, of course, has been pretty clear about seeking major changes in Finance Chairman Max Baucus' draft bill and I doubt he'll be too influenced by this blast email. Still, at a certain point Wyden may have to decide whether to keep moving a bill down the road even if it falls far short of what he wants. ...

'Text of e-mail from Organizing for America: ... Your voice matters right now: Please call Senator Wyden today, thank him for his work thus far and ask him to fight hard to pass health reform in the Senate Finance Committee. ... After months of shared effort, a milestone in the struggle for reform is within reach -- and we can't let special interests and their lobbyists have the last word now. Call Senator Wyden at (202) 224-5244 and tell the staffer who answers that you thank the Senator for his work so far, and now you are counting on him to help pass health reform in the Senate Finance Committee. Then click here to let us know you called, so we can track the progress of our campaign.'