[lbo-talk] Economic determinism

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Sep 23 10:48:57 PDT 2009

Dennis Redmond writes:

I've been scratching my head since last October
> about how the notion of "letting them fail" might be a pathway to a
> Leftwing position, but haven't succeeded. Maybe it could provide a
> jumping-off point for a conversation about the ways US capitalism is a
> catastrophic economic, geopolitical and human failure, even in relation to
> other (Euro/Asian/developmental-state) capitalisms.
=========================== Yes, that - and, in practice, "let them fail" means temporary nationalization through an RTC-type mechanism rather than the current policy of massive state subsidization of insolvent banks, which transfers responsibility for their liabilities from bondholders and shareholders, who would otherwise be wiped out, to taxpayers. Supporting the demand for nationalization or "conservatorship", temporary or not, no matter how it is presented, seems to me to be a "pathway to a Leftwing position" in that it raises the class issue of "who pays?" as well as inevitably placing the issue of enduring state ownership versus "temporary" nationalization on the agenda, and the differing class purpose served by each.

The moment for such debate seems to have passed for now, following the stress tests and loosening of mark-to-market accounting and the apparent restoration of stability and profitability to the financial sector, but this disguises that the distressed assets remain on the books, unemployment and real estate (esp. commercial) remain a worry, and Citi and other weaker Wall Street banks remain on government life support, so nationalization might yet well return as an issue.