[lbo-talk] Ralph loves the nice plutocrats

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:05:01 PDT 2009

RE: "Face it. The US political system is plutocracy, not democracy.

Always has been."

[WS:] I think it is an oversimplification that obscures more than it reveals. The voice of the rich weighs more than that of the poor in most countries, not just the US. A more peculiar (but certainly not unique) feature of the US is the wekaness of its political central nervous system, which makes the rich look as if they had more power.

Most European democracies developed from monarchies, whose legacy was a relatively strong central governing authority posing an effective counterweight to aristocracy or business interest. The US lacked monarchic traditions and by implication a central authority. Its political institutions were created by plantation owners and businessmen whose overarching objective was to avoid replicating a European monarchic system, and instead creating a 'democracy' by the 18th century standards.

The effect was what someone (deTocqueville?) described as a "country of political parties and courts" i.e a country with a weak central authority. The only departure form that model was the outcome of the civl war that created a standing army - which significantly increased the power of the central (federal) government albeit limiting the field of its operations to foreign affairs. Domestically, the US has been and still is a country of "political parties and courts."

That system of political parties and courts is far more conducive to voicing interest of the wealthy than a system with a strong central government - which creates an impression of plutocracy. But the key point is not the power of the weallthy per se, which is often divided or hijacked by individual capitalists (as opposed to the capitalist class as a whole) but the unsually strong power of political parties and courts (both responsive to special interest groups) vis a vis that of the central government.

It is that absence of a strong central government that makes the US look is if it did not have any public policy but rather partisan politicking responsive to private party interest. In a way, it is like a compuer with terabytes of memory and disk space, super video graphic accelerators, and an 8086 CPU taken out of an old XT machine.

Wojtek