[lbo-talk] Ralph loves the nice plutocrats

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Sep 23 14:28:37 PDT 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 5:05 PM, Wojtek S wrote:

> RE: "Face it. The US political system is plutocracy, not democracy.
> Always has been."
>
> [WS:] I think it is an oversimplification that obscures more than it
> reveals.... Its political institutions were created by plantation
> owners and businessmen whose overarching objective was to avoid
> replicating a European monarchic system, and instead creating a
> 'democracy' by the 18th century standards..."

"created by plantation owners and businessmen"--the very definition of plutocracy. And in the 18th century "democracy" was supported only by a handful of revolutionary dreamers. The founders, constituting a weak, newly established plutocracy, dreaded democracy far more than monarchy (Hamilton wanted to make Washington king, or at least president-for-life). Hence the anti-democratic, though liberal and decentralized, Constitution.

> ...That system of political parties and courts is far more conducive
> to voicing
> interest of the wealthy than a system with a strong central
> government -
> which creates an impression of plutocracy... But the key point
> is... the unsually strong power of political parties and courts
> (both responsive to special interest groups) vis a vis that of the
> central government.

And what, pray tell, is a "special interest group" other than a plutocratic faction with its dependent clientele?