[lbo-talk] The State (Was: Ralph loves the nice plutocrats)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 05:53:53 PDT 2009

[WS:] My main problem with this understanding (aside factual inaccuracy of some of the statements) is that it smacks of tautology that makes any debate possible. The state by definition is an oppressive apparatus, and if it is not oppressive it is not a state. Since I have little interst in tautologies and I am far more into empirical investigation of historical contingencies, such an understanding has little appeal to me.

Another issue - the statement that state "has historically been controlled by and acted as the agent of the dominant propertied class" is demonstrably false. The easiest counterexamples are the Soviet Russia & its European satellites and Communist China, where the state was anything but controlled by propertied class. Other examples from modern history may include Japan during Meji restoration, Alavardo government in Peru, Ataturk government in Turkey or Nasser Government in Egypt (cf. Ellen Kay Timberger, 1978, *Revolution from Above: Military Bureaucrats and Development in Japan, Turkey, Egypt and Peru*, New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Books) or for that matter the Juarez and later PRI governments of Mexico, Taiwan, or even the 1930 military government of Brazil explicitly curbing power of landed elites (its fascist sympathies notwithstanding). Another counter example comes from Australia where the liberal (British) government deliberately undercut the growing power of landowners in the 19th century (cf. Dietrich Rueschemeyer, Evelyne Huber Stephens and John D. Stephens, 1992, *Capitalist Development & Democracy*, Chicago: University of Chicago Press. And then there is pre-capitalist history full of struggles between the crown and landed gentry, of which Sweden can serve as one and good example..

So the idea that state is by definition run by the propertied class is but a Left wing myth that is demonstrably false and does not even deserve to be called "vulgar Marxism" :)

Since it is clear, from historical record, that the state sometimes is controlled by the propertied class and sometimes it is not or even acts against the propertied class - a far more interesting approach, imho, is to investigate the conditions facilitating each of the outcomes instead shutting down any discussion by declaring by definition that state is eveil tool of the propertied class.

I also have issues with your faith in the parliamentary process as a representation of the "vox populi" and counter-weight against evil power of state bureaucracy. That may be true under certain conditions, but under other conditions parliaments are but useless chatterboxes unable to enact any meaningful reforms, and it takes reformist state bureaucracies to enact such reforms - examples: the introduction of welfare reforms in the UK and Sweden (cf. Hugh Heclo, 1974, *Modern Social Politics in Britain and Sweden*, New Haven, CT: Yale University Press).

I may add that the main obstacle to the introduction of universal social programs in the US was (ans till is to a large degree) not the capitalist class alone, but the idiotic party system in a symbiotic relation with various propertied and popular interests (e.g. Southern racists.) If it were solely for the Fed and mega-capitalists alone we would probably have a universal public welfare system on a par with that in Europe for a number of reasons, chief of them being companies offloading the cost of benefits on the public sector. It is the sleazy pork-and-barrel congressmen and politics of patronage in which they are engulfed up to their eyeballs that stands in a way of the health reform.

Wojtek