[lbo-talk] The State (Was: Ralph loves the nice plutocrats)

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Sep 25 04:54:12 PDT 2009

Chris D. writes:

> I think the problem here is that Marvin seems to be defining the state as
> "a tool of repression in the hands of the wealthy."
====================================== This evidently requires elaboration. The state is conventionally defined as comprising the executive, legislative, judiciary, bureaucracy, armed forces, and intelligence services. It has historically been controlled by and acted as the agent of the dominant propertied classes. It maintains social order and class rule through a mix of force and concessions, ie. naked repression and "repressive tolerance". In authoritarian states - sometimes called "strong states" -the power exercised over the population is unchecked and repression is often brutal. State power is circumscribed in parliamentary and republican systems where the people have been able to win the right to assemble, speak out, organize, and vote against the ruling class. These democratic rights are limited, however, in that their exercise cannot strip the ruling class of it's power and property. If it threatens to do so - as, say, when economic and physical security breaks down in war and economic crisis - these rights are removed, the coercive power of the state is strengthened, and popular dissent can now only be expressed illegally, leading to violent repression and resistance.

What is the "problem" you, Woj, and perhaps others have with this understanding of the state's role?