[lbo-talk] no return

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 14:04:37 PDT 2009

9/26 N. CA Education Workers and Students Conference At SFSU

Defend our Education!

Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009

10:00 am - 3 pm

SFSU

Get with the Program!

Why is our education at risk?

Why is the Budget out of control and no one speaking up?

Students, faculty and staff from many colleges, universities and school districts in California are asking these questions. But more importantly, they are organizing and creating a move-ment to act on these attacks on the basic human right of getting an education. You are invited to attend the Northern California Defend Our Education organizing meeting for all student, faculty, and staff members, parents, Union members, church members, or community group members. We strongly encourage attendance by members of similar committees.

Saturday, September 26th, 2009

San Francisco State University

1600 Holloway Avenue, SF

Jack Adams Hall

Upper Level of the Cesar Chavez Student Center

Muni and BART/BART shuttle are easy! Go to 5-1-1

10 AM - 3 PM

For more info: Contact Defend Our Education

Pablo Rodriguez, <mailto:pabrodriguez at yahoo.com>pabrodriguez at yahoo.com

(Initial endorsers-Defend Our Education-City College of SF, College of BSS Students of Color @ SFSU, AFT 2121,

CFA - SFSU, United Public Workers For Action, Progressive Teachers of Richmond, SF Labor Council, SF District 11 Supervisor John Avalos, Karl Kramer, SF Living Wage Coalition)

-labor donated-

Friday, September 18, 2009

Hello!

We are hosting the Defend Our Education Northern California Conference at SF State in Jack Adams Hall on Sat. Sept. 26th, 10am-3pm. Our goal is to bring K-12, Higher Education, and Labor Representatives together. We will be discussing how the budget cuts affect education and will be calling for a statewide plan of action to unify and mobilize our efforts. The conference will focus mainly on building an alliance of students and workers.

We are asking for your support by participating in this conference and sending your student and labor leaders and rank and file to join us in the fight in defending our educational rights as well as saving social services in general.

We invite your student group or organization to present reports that represent what is happening on your campus, in your school and workplace, and anticipate reports from all levels of education, as well as from the workers who are struggling with furloughs or experiencing uncertainty in their jobs.

We are also collecting letters of support and endorsements from elected officials and others to document who stands with us in our efforts to save education. Please send your reports, endorsements, and letters as soon as possible so that we can make copies for the conference. Thank you. Address and send to:

Defend Our Education Northern California Conference

c/o AFT 2121

311 Miramar Avenue

San Francisco, CA 94112

Or email to: <mailto:bssstudentsofcolor at gmail.com>bssstudentsofcolor at gmail.com

In solidarity,

Nadia Conrad

Chair of the College of BSS: Students of Color and a member of Defending Our Education Coalition