[lbo-talk] G20 on KPFA

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Sep 25 18:07:16 PDT 2009

I listened to program on KPFA that was one of the best things I've heard in ages. 10-00-12:00a, Title, Letters to Washington. It starts off discussing nuclear issues with Iran which I find mostly bogus and uninteresting. Gas centrifuge technology to process naturally occurring uranium was abandoned for weapons after the first A-bomb, because plutonium technology was faster and cheaper although it does require a more advanced engineering technology. The main use of natural deposits of uranium which Iran has, is for a lower grade fuel in nuclear reactors.

We can argue over the nuclear details, but I think the main issue is really about the balance of regional power and Israel's position in that equation--which it has lost.

But hang in for the last three guest speakers.

http://www.kpfa.org/archive/id/54871

The important guests come on about 0:31:51. If you want a live update on the Pittsburgh city repression move to about 0:10:00 into the file. Look for a report from Andalucia Knowls (?).

First interesting guest was none other than Patrick Bond. Bond is very articulate in a live interview. Doug should get him on Behind the News to talk about the G20. Bond starts off characterizing Obama as an embrace and extend kind of guy toward the second world economies to co-opt their tendencies to move left from the neoliberal Washington Consensus.

Bond went down the list of all the issues on the table at G20 and gave the left version of what should happen, against the neoliberal version of what was likely to come out. It was a nice long interview with lots of room to explain various things. from the financial crisis, to trade, to energy and the environment with cap and trade.

Okay, next up was a pre-recorded interview of a similar length with Joseph Stiglitz where he explained the background for changing the international accepted measures of the world's economies. The example he used was using GDP as a measure of economic growth. He took the US GDP and how its figures seem to indicate positive growth over some period. Then he noted this included the financial sector which accorded for something lik 41% of growth in profits. The US economic in the concrete world hardly grew at all, and yet the DGP figure makes it look like a good grown model....when it is a terrible model to follow. He went into much better detail and background from his work on the commission under the French government.

The last guest was one of the student organizers for the demonstration at UCB yesterday. He of course was a great as Bond or Stig, but he definitely knew his stuff and how related to the general US economic issues. Mike Perelman, Alan Rudy and other profs will be happy to know this latino student sure learned his lefty lessons well. I had gotten up to more coffee and miss his name. He gave the name of the latino voice I heard but couldn't see. The speaker was also a student. There was evidently a black professor who also must have spoken, but I got there late and missed him. The program played short sections.