[lbo-talk] Let them eat Prozac (was: let's argue about the cause ofmental illness

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 27 14:22:59 PDT 2009

What shag's source argues about SSRIs may be true; I am somewhat sceptical of their usefulness myself, and they never helped me much.

But the evidence is mighty thin, partly of course because the drug companies do probably cover up a lot. But even alloowing for that, the evidence is mighty thin -- and if it were a non-controversial subject, shag herself would scoff at drawing conclusions of any kind.

Moreover, we are in the same atmosphere as that of various food faddists that both Dwayne and shag have mercilessly mocked in the past. Individuals who cherry pick evidence to fit their beliefs and write it up in sparklingt prose. And leftists who are leftists _because_ they are suspiciou of corporate behavior, and who know so much about the crimes of corporations and governments over a century or so, are apt to be real suckers for anything negative that comes along in reference to any scoundrel (all corporations are coundrels, but no coundrel, corpororate or individual, is a souncrel 24 hours a day. And it takes a lot of evidence, which individuals can't r eally hope to collect, to rach solid conclusions on complex research.

Amatyyeur judgments of medical issues are often correct -- and often not correct. And there is no way for amateurs to recognize which is which. It's too much like conspiracy theories: even if true, they are politically uselfess because political action can be organized only about issues on which the facts are evident from the daily headlines, without even reading the articles.

Carrol