[lbo-talk] Univ of Calif contemplates privatizing itself

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 19:56:58 PDT 2009

That's cut off it's head. Silver bullets and garlic would helpful too.

The point is that the commitment to neoliberalism is disconnected from reality almost entirely. It is impervious to argument or refutation. It only hits speed bumps when its practitioners take the economy off a cliff. Sometimes not even then, maybe take the economy off a cliff two or three times in a way serious enough to make the likelihood of rapid recovery probable. Jeff Sachs ruined the economies of three countries with neoliberal nostrums, each one (Russia being the last) worse than before, and his previous failures had no effect on his enthusiasm for the idea. Now he's doing the sackcloth and ashes routine at Columbia. It's like NL's little sister (Raymond Chandler fans will get the allusion), the efficient market hypothesis -- a ludicrous idea to start with, repeatedly refuted by experience, and yet, like Rasputin, it will not die.