[lbo-talk] Univ of Calif contemplates privatizing itself

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Sep 28 20:11:12 PDT 2009

On Mon, September 28, 2009 6:57 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:

> [I'm becoming convinced that people who think that neoliberalism died
> from the financial crisis should do a serious rethink.]
>
> <http://beta.dailybruin.com/articles/2009/9/28/uc-debates-going-
> private/>

Oh, as a system of global governance and tool of US hegemony, Anglo neoliberalism is dead all right -- its corpse is buried under a stack of 6 trillion EUR in sovereign wealth funds/forex reserves, and bits and pieces of its endokeleton, polished to a mirror sheen, are now museum exhibits in the central bank foyers of China, Russia, Brazil, India and a bunch of other proto-developmental states.

Ironically, the only way neoliberalism could've clung to a few more miserable years of life would have been a total 1930s-style economic meltdown. That's off the table, thank goodness.

-- DRR