[lbo-talk] Let them eat Prozac (was: let's argue about thecauseofmental illness

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue Sep 29 03:14:24 PDT 2009

At 5:54 AM -0400 29/9/09, Andy wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Bill Bartlett
><billbartlett at aapt.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Obviously serious depression is not on the same level as being a bit
>> melancholy. But I don't get serious depression, I can't talk about that. I
>> can't help you by trying to make out I've been there. I CAN help you by
>> making a joke of it and myself.
>
>If you've honestly been joking, the problem is that people regularly
>in all seriousness characterize clinical depression in precisely the
>way you did. It's like hearing a stranger on the bus talking about
>nuking Iran -- what from a friend might be heard as bitter sarcasm
>otherwise makes one sick to be alive.

Well it seemed pretty funny when I was writing it. I couldn't stop chuckling. Then when I proof-read it, it seemed even funnier.

Speaking of Iran, what do those mullahs want with nuclear weapons anyhow? No good can come of it, they will just get themselves nuked.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas

PS, its all in your head. If it sounds funny to hear your friend joking about nuking Iran, then you should get just as big a chuckle when you hear strangers on a bus talking about it.

In fact you should just laugh out loud when you hear people talk like that. Or at the very least roll your eyes ostentatiously and wink at other passengers.

I think what the problem is though, is that you yanks are just far too polite to behave like that. Don't get me wrong, this politeness is one of the most endearing features of the US character. I love you for it. But the flip side is that idiots can get away with talking utter drivel in public and their fellow US citizens are too polite to ridicule them. So complete idiots are not made aware that they are complete idiots and will say the most idiotic things without being embarrassed.

I hate to say it, but you Americans are just too nice for your own good.