[lbo-talk] Let them eat Prozac (was: let's argue about thecauseofmental illness

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 02:54:28 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Bill Bartlett <billbartlett at aapt.net.au> wrote:

> Obviously serious depression is not on the same level as being a bit
> melancholy. But I don't get serious depression, I can't talk about that. I
> can't help you by trying to make out I've been there. I CAN help you by
> making a joke of it and myself.

If you've honestly been joking, the problem is that people regularly in all seriousness characterize clinical depression in precisely the way you did. It's like hearing a stranger on the bus talking about nuking Iran -- what from a friend might be heard as bitter sarcasm otherwise makes one sick to be alive.

-- Andy