[lbo-talk] Polanski

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 29 15:52:20 PDT 2009

At 03:41 PM 9/29/2009, wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

>I had heard that the victim was willing to be
>called to be a witness for the defense. I'd be curious if anyone had more
>on that. robert wood

No. She asked the DA's office to drop it so she could move on.

Then and now photos of her are here:

http://www.examiner.com/x-264-Celebrity-News-Examiner~y2009m9d27-Roman-Polanski-arrested-in-Switzerland-for-having-sex-with-Samantha-Geimer-31-years-ago-photos

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/29/earlyshow/leisure/celebspot/main5348868.shtml

[...]

Samantha Geimer, isn't talking right now, but several years ago she spoke to Early Show national correspondent Hattie Kauffman.

Geimer, who was assaulted by Polanski in 1977, has said she's forgiven Polanski and moved on. But in 2003, following news of Polanski's nomination for a Best Director Academy Award for "The Pianist," Kauffman said Geimer was adamant, saying it's never too late for justice to be served. ....

Kauffman asked Geimer, "How did it go from a photo shoot to a rape?"

"Well, the last photos were taken in the jacuzzi," Geimer said. "But then he got in the jacuzzi, and that's when I started realizing that I might be in trouble, or I felt uncomfortable - I knew it didn't feel right.

"So I told him I wanted to get out of that jacuzzi, that the steam was giving me asthma and I couldn't breathe, and I thought maybe he should take me home - I just made that up. So he said OK, you know, come out now and grab a towel, run in the house. That's also when he said 'Well here, take this little, this will help you, little piece of a pill,' to relax my asthma attack."

The pill, Geimer said, was a quaalude. Then Geimer said she had sex with Polanski against her will.

Geimer told her mother, who called police. Polanski was charged with six felony counts.

Facing decades behinds bars, Polanski fled to Europe, where he's been a fugitive until his arrest this weekend.

In an interview with "60 Minutes" correspondent Mike Wallace in 1978, Polanski claimed the sex was consensual.

"She wasn't unschooled in sexual matters," Polanski said. "She was consenting and willing."

But is it too late for justice to be served?

Geimer told Kauffman, "It's never too late. It's never too late to go back and fix something that wasn't done right. It's been too long, but it will never be too late."

In <http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/wire/la-oe-samantha-geimer23-2003feb23,0,>a 2003 Op-Ed for the Los Angeles Times, Geimer wrote, "The one thing that bothers me is that what happened to me in 1977 continues to happen to girls every day, yet people are interested in me because Mr. Polanski is a celebrity. That just never seems right to me. It makes me feel guilty that this attention is directed at me, when there are certainly others out there who could really use it."

Earlier this year, Geimer filed a formal request that Los Angeles prosecutors drop the charges against Polanski, saying she wanted to move on and stop reliving the details.

[...]