[lbo-talk] Polanski

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 29 16:21:57 PDT 2009

I think it might be part of confusing a person's talent with their moral worth. If somebody produces a great work of art, then they can't be bad. Otherwise, you would feel guilty for appreciating the work. People do this with Heidegger all the time, but in the other direction (Heidegger did bad things, therefore the products of his talent must be bad).

I blame the idea (that starts with, or at least around, Kant as far as I know) that the Genius is some kind of singular individual whose work stems from his or her essence. So, bad people can't produce good works.