[lbo-talk] Polanski

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 06:53:34 PDT 2009

Chris: So, if, say, Mike Tyson were to be found guilty of raping a black woman, nothing would happen to him?

[WS:] How can anyone answer that question? You know darn well how the criminal justic in this country works - that a lot, and I mean A LOT, depends of prosecutorial discretion whether and how to prosecute a case. In most circusmtances, cases are pretty much decided before they even go to court either through plea bargaining or through prosecutorial decision to file specific charges. You also know darn well that as prosecutors face elections, they tend to pursue popular cases that increase their chances of being elected. You also must have heard of studies after studies showing thatthe race of the victim plays a big role not onoly in prosecutorial decision making, but also in the verdict of the jury and the severity of the sentence.

So with that in mind, do you really think that the race of the alleged victim does not matter?

PS. I am not a big fan of Mr. Polanski or his cinematography (excpet perhaps 'The Pianist") and I also think that it was a really poor judgment on his part to engage in a sex act with someone who might have been under age and latter jumping the bail. People with much less education, resources, and world exposure than him understand that much better than he did. But that is not the point here. I think that the case itself and the vigor with which it re-emerged after 35 or so years raises some brows.

Wojtek