[lbo-talk] polonski

JC Helary brandelune at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 08:00:40 PDT 2009

On 30 sept. 2009, at 23:36, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2009, at 10:27 AM, JC Helary wrote:
>
>> Currently, the affair serves exactly one and only one purpose:
>> divert the attention of the stunned masses from more urgent and
>> important issues.
>
> Do you think the arrest was timed to do that?

No. I jus think the media (at least in France, I am not following closely what happens in the US) has found a good way to not have to discuss more important matters. And because France is the land of "culture" and of BHL, a dear friend of our president, it is likely to stay on the first pages for a while.

> Or does shit just happen and the system processes things to work
> that way. Because there's never any shortage of such material in
> American life - the details may vary from week to week, even if the
> structure remains the same.
> Still, Americans are very easily distractible. They really don't
> care much about politics, I'm sorry to say. They'd much rather
> follow LiLo or whatever the flavor of the week is. Mark Sanford was
> fun, but that was sex and lying more than politics.

Same in Japan. Except that here they don't give a damn about Polansky. The only thing they seem to care about is food. Amazing the number of food/cooking related programs on TV.

Jean-Christophe Helary