[lbo-talk] Polanski

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Sep 30 08:14:26 PDT 2009

Is there any other issue, any other conceivable issue, on which Leftists can be found to side with Le Pen and against Costa-Gavras?

NYTimes article, 30/09

..."the father and daughter politicians Jean-Marie and Marine Le Pen also criticized the ministers, saying they were supporting “a criminal pedophile in the name of the rights of the political-artistic class.” Marie-Louise Fort, an Assembly member who has sponsored anti-incest legislation, said in an interview that she was shocked by the support for Mr. Polanski.

“I don’t believe that public opinion is spontaneously supporting Mr. Polanski at all,” Ms. Fort said. “I believe that there is a distinction between the mediagenic class of artists and ordinary citizens that have a vision that is more simple.”...

...Film industry leaders like Pedro Almodóvar, Martin Scorsese, Costa- Gavras and Woody Allen signed a petition with more than 100 names that expressed “stupefaction” with the arrest...

Shane Mage