[lbo-talk] The State

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 30 11:54:18 PDT 2009

This mostly responsive to Robert Woods's posts. Why must there be a specifically "capitalist state," and why must the state be specifically concerned with "maintaining capitalism"? The difficulties encountered in defining the "capitalist state" and detailing its functions may well stem simply from its non-existence. As Robert points out, capitalism has flourished under any number of quite radically different stte functions. If the state maintains order (e.g., establishes on which side of the road traffic moves), that is all capitalism as capitalism needs.

This says nothing one way or another concerning the services a given government will provide for this or that capitalist enterprise or sector of the economy; but that is no different in principle from the different families of nobles the King of a palace economy might favor.

Very few capitalists or their friends in government are really concerned about Capitalism in the abstract or preserving it. They react viciously to threats, but essentially they believe the same ideology that everyone, including Reds, believe: capitalism is nature. That's how things are. Reds have to keep reminding ourselves that we don't believe in it; we have to keep examining our positons to see that they are not merely reflections of spontaneous ideology of capitalism.

The State, the Family, Education are not capitalist institutins, though capitalism needs all three. It needs many other instittuions that are not capitalist institutions. One has to examine empirically each capitalist state at any given time to see the way in which capitalism and capitalist relatre to and utilize these institutions under specific historical condtions, but there are no general theoretical answers to the questions raised in this thread.

Carrol