[lbo-talk] Let's All Argue About Nuclear Power!

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 10:42:47 PDT 2010

Michael: This seems to skip over my length of time point. Any solution to nuclear waste disposal that depends on social arrangements is not a solution because social arrangements cannot plausibly be expected to endure over even a tiny fraction of the relevant time frame. So the only conceivable solution would be purely technical solution, e.g., a means of making the stuff permanently non-radioactive and non-reactive.

[WS:] It seems that this fear of nuclear energy is in a large part due to a 'telescoping' view of history , meaning that distant events are seen as close as one in closer proximity. The fact that radioactive waste remains radioactive for long time periods does not mean that we have to plan for the entire period of their radioactivity. We can safely assume that at some future point technology will be developed to deal with that radioactivity more effectively that is technologically possible today.

In that light, the main concern is storing the stuff in way that is least harmful to environment and society now - and that is primarily a social rather than technological concern. The storage technology already exists, the problem is deploying that technology in a way that does not harm the environment or people without political clout - which is social and political.

Another point, afaik nuclear power generation has been rather safe thus far. The only major disaster, Chernobyl, was due to human error rather than technological malfunction. So the fear of the nuclear power seems to based on irrational factors (akin to fear of water fluoridation - which combines weird conspiracism with right wing populism and paranoid hatred of institutions) rather than rational risk assessment.

Wojtek