[lbo-talk] Bizarre Comment from David Brooks

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 06:16:36 PDT 2010

on the one hand, isn't it a falsehood that we don't make shit? there is still a pretty substantial manufacturing sector, but the idea that we don't have one keeps it impoverished in the national imaginary. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who are participating in shifts so that we aren't even producing this kind of intellectual value. In today's Chronicle of Higher Ed there is an article about the outsourcing of grading in writing intensive courses. I haven't signed in to read the whole article, but here's the lede:

http://chronicle.com/article/Outsourced-Grading-With/64954/

April 4, 2010 Some Papers Are Uploaded to Bangalore to Be Graded Outsourced Grading, With Supporters and Critics, Comes to College

Lori Whisenant, who teaches business law and ethics at the U. of Houston, has outsourced the grading of students' papers to a private company.

By Audrey Williams June

Lori Whisenant knows that one way to improve the writing skills of undergraduates is to make them write more. But as each student in her course in business law and ethics at the University of Houston began to crank out—often awkwardly—nearly 5,000 words a semester, it became clear to her that what would really help them was consistent, detailed feedback.

Her seven teaching assistants, some of whom did not have much experience, couldn't deliver.