[lbo-talk] Bizarre Comment from David Brooks

James Leveque jamespl79 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 6 05:48:03 PDT 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/opinion/06brooks.html?hp

"As the world gets richer, demand will rise for the sorts of products Americans are great at providing — emotional experiences. Educated Americans grow up in a culture of moral materialism; they have their sensibilities honed by complicated shows like “The Sopranos,” “The Wire” and “Mad Men,” and they go on to create companies like Apple, with identities coated in moral and psychological meaning, which affluent consumers crave."

To quote Frank Sobotka from "The Wire": "You know what the trouble is Brucey? We used to make shit in this country, build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket."