[lbo-talk] Bizarre Comment from David Brooks

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 08:39:44 PDT 2010

The US doesn't make as much as much shit as it used to, but I was surprised to find the new Apple iPad runs on an in-house processor manufactured by Palo Alto Semiconductor ["PA Semi"] (it's called the Apple "A4" processor.)

I couldn't find out if the chip was actually manufactured stateside or if only the engineers, etc., lived here. Apple bought the chip-making company in 2008 in a rare acquisition/buy out of another company. Some have wondered if this isn't a new page turned for Apple, and if they will begin making more processors in-house.

(Speaking of iPad-esque tablets - and this getting off-topic - HP has one coming up called "The Slate" that has 2 web cams (one facing out, one facing to the user), USB compatibility, Flash compatibility, and some upgrade-ability. But HP has yet to announce a release date or starting price. ;(( )

Having said that, Brooks's Pollyannish take that the US could be a prime manufacturer of "emotional experiences" sounds more than pathetic, and one is tempted to insert a joke about the emotional experiences we've manufactured for the victims of our overseas military adventures over the years.

-B.