[lbo-talk] money and s*x

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 19:18:37 PDT 2010

Well, ever read any Xaviera Jollander?

The saying goes that men buy prostitutes not for the sex, per se, but because there is a clean and clearly defined ending to the experience that entails no follow up flower-giving ritualistic dating, etc. I pay you, and *bam*, it's over with, no strings attached. For many men, this is a "phew!"-type experience. A weight off their shoulders. My suspicion is this makes men become less inhibited with a prostitute and want to make the most of the brief time.

There is still in our culture the age-old, holdover, lingering notion that sex carries an implicit social contract that "a relationship is starting," or other conflicted feelings, must be tied into the experience. This is a culturally ingrained phenomenon. Yet with a prostitute, this is all out the window, whether it's hetero sex or male on male sex, or possibly any other combination. "Cold cash payment" dictates there is a clear and distinct beginning and end to the experience. it may free up inhibitions. Anyone who has been through messy entanglements.

Just a theory. No reams of empirical social science data to back this up, but anecdotally it seems I've heard as much.

-B.