[lbo-talk] Demographic composition of the Tea Party

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 07:05:06 PDT 2010

> I just don't
> understand why we should shoehorn people into one of the two
> capitalist
> parties.

You think independents aren't pro-capitalist? Doug --------------------------------------------------------------------------- No, just think that thinking about everything that happens in a binary of Republican or Democrat prevents thinking about capitalism and class. It glosses over the very real issues that I think tea party people have with the Republicans. It might be that they are to the right of the Republicans on certain issues (race, gender, state fiscal policy) and that they are to the left of the party on others (corporations, finance). Don't know, nobody seems interested. Everyone just wants to know if they are Democrats or Republicans. Let me be clear though, I don't think they are a possible progressive force or that we should bring them over. I merely think that we should take seriously their divergent interests from the Republicans, as it reveals some contradictions and possible future directions with in the party. I think it signals the slipping Republican grip on a section of the working class as the demographics and economy of the country changes and that it will be interesting to watch them try and bring in the highly contradictory demands of this group.

Anyway, no one seems that interested so I will just drop it.

Brad