[lbo-talk] hysterical appeal from The Nation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 7 08:01:05 PDT 2010

[As they say in The New Yorker, letters we stopped reading...]

Dear Friend:

Bitter opponents charge our first black president with totalitarianism and offer states-rights arguments in an effort to repeal sweeping health care reform. Nation columnist Melissa Harris-Lacewell framed in no uncertain terms the challenge we face from the Tea Party resistance:

"There are historic lessons to be learned. But they are the lessons of the 19th century not the 20th. We must now guard against the descent of a vicious new Jim Crow terrorism."

It's a warning we take very seriously at The Nation.

Since 1865, subscribers have known The Nation magazine as a kind of early warning system...