[lbo-talk] Carrol-baiting versus actual discussion (WAS: Re: west on obama and boycotts)

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 11:49:49 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
> ha! you're one to talk, Mr Pithic Himself. I was going to say that I
> found it annoying to read your remark. You never explained your terms.
> you made the assumption that people think boycotts are good - i don't
> and i know not everyone here thinks boycotts are good. then you said
> that there's an assumption that social conscious consumerism is
> assumed to be bad.

Feedback, excellent! Thank you for taking the trouble.

I have nothing against classical pithology. It's merely the second time in as many weeks that I got the same dismissive one-word answer from Carrol to a complicated question. It occurred to me that I should follow Doug's recent example and not rise to the bait, but then I find out that I'm the one who's baiting. Hey, learn something new every day.

I didn't mean the generalization to be taken too literally. But if boycotts aren't supported enough on the list, how about picket lines? And I honestly have a hard time remembering anybody to the left of the Utne Reader saying anything approving about any kind of "socially conscious consumerism". It's usually mentioned with scorn. But you think I'm mistaken? Don't you do a lot of the scorning?

> who are these folks. what the hell is SCC anywaY?

Sorry, I missed that.

-- Andy