[lbo-talk] Fwd: Re: Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 01:15:31 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 3:46 AM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

It would not be hard at all to justify support for the war by appeal to Marx
> and Engels. They supported lots of wars by more advanced (according to their
> undertanding of advanced) nations against less advanced ones because of
> their supposed civilizing nature. Bakunin wrote about this at length.

Like the assumptions packaged in posts about the Civil War sent to this very list within the last few hours? (For some reason, many on the left resort to crude moralistic appeals in this one unique instance - slavery in the American South - while disregarding their modern equivalents, like the subjugation of women in Afghanistan. For the record, I find both instances of imperialist propaganda equally and identically troublesome.)