[lbo-talk] Fwd: Re: Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Apr 8 04:04:15 PDT 2010

At 04:15 AM 4/8/2010, Joseph Catron wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 3:46 AM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>It would not be hard at all to justify support for the war by appeal to Marx
> > and Engels. They supported lots of wars by more advanced (according to
> their
> > undertanding of advanced) nations against less advanced ones because of
> > their supposed civilizing nature. Bakunin wrote about this at length.
> >

>Like the assumptions packaged in posts about the Civil War sent to this very
>list within the last few hours? (For some reason, many on the left resort
>to crude moralistic appeals in this one unique instance - slavery in the
>American South - while disregarding their modern equivalents, like the
>subjugation of women in Afghanistan. For the record, I find both instances
>of imperialist propaganda equally and identically troublesome.)

left feminists don't disregard the subjugation of women in afghanistan.

1. they have a different explanation for the source of that subjugation. 2. they don't think dropping bombs on their heads will free them. 3. they think that the leftist feminists in afghanistan should be listened to and recognized as people with, as Eric Beck says, a politics. that they are fully capable of figuring out what they want and how they're going to get it, without us - left feminists - stepping in to patronizingly explain to them what they want and what they should do and take over to protect them from their men. our job, they repeatedly remind us, is to protect them from u.s. imperialism.