[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Apr 8 04:23:40 PDT 2010

Marx thought that the unification of Germany was a progressive step forward, even though it was accomplished under the auspices of the conservative Junkers. It was progressive, in Marx's view, because it would lead to the creation of a unified German economy, leading to a more rapid industrialization of that country, and hence the development of a larger and stronger, and more unified proletariat within that country. And within the sphere of international relations, the unification of Germany was seen by Marx as progressive because a unified Germany would be able to act as a counterweight to both Britain and Russia, the twin pillars of political reaction in Europe.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 03:57:53 -0700 (PDT)

I would say that that is an understatement. Bakunin thought that Marx and Engels (and the German Social Democratic movement and pan-Germanism in general) were basically apologists for German Empire.

----- Original Message ---- From: James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk>

I don't know Bakunin's writing except through Marx's arguments against it, but I think that he took a much more optimistic view of German unification than Bakunin did.